Welcome to Breck's!
Click Here to Sign Up for Special Offers from Breck's!
The Black Hollyhock
- Light: Full Sun
- Size: #1 Plant
- Zone: 3-9
- Bloom Time: Mid-late summer
- Height: 5 - 8 feet
- Soil Requirement: Fertile soil, evenly moist but well drained.
- Deer Resistant
- SKU: 60465
- Availability: In Stock
For each offer ordered, get 3
- Botanical Name Alcea rosea 'Nigra'
- Form Biennial or short-lived perennial
- Hardiness Zone 3-9
- Flowering Time Mid-late summer
- Light Requirements Full Sun
- Flower Color dark maroon, almost black
- Flower Form Bell shaped flowers 2-3" across, borne singly on tall stalks.
- Foliage Type 6-8" course rounded leaves, decorative with scalloped edges.
- Growth Rate Fast
- Height/Habit 5 - 8 feet
- Spread 18 - 24 inches
- Planting Instructions Tolerates a wide range of soil conditions. Incorporate organic matter and Advanced Formula Plant Food to enhance establishment and blooming. Too wet or too dry causes weak plants.
- Soil Requirements Fertile soil, evenly moist but well drained.
- Will Tolerate Acidic Soil, Clay Soil, Dry Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- Pruning Trim back spent flower stalks in late fall or early spring before new growth starts. late fall or early spring
Breck's Shipping Schedule
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONES||Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs|
|1AB - 5A||3/16/20- 6/17/20|
|5B-10AB||2/17/20 - 6/17/20|
|Last Order Date||6/8/2020|
|1AB - 5A||4/16/20- 6/1/20|
|5A||4/12/20 - 6/1/20|
|5B||3/19/20 - 6/1/20|
|6A & 6B||3/5/20 - 6/1/20|
|7A & 7B||2/26/20 - 6/1/20|
|8A & 8B||2/19/20 - 6/1/20|
|9A - 10B||1/22/20 - 6/1/20|
|Last Order Date||5/28/2020|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule above.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shippied in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shippied direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Gift Certificates are shipped immediately.
If they are in stock, Garden Essentials ship within 4-7 days.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Click here to find your zone!
Our shipping and handling charges are as follows:
|Up to $40.00 order-||$9.95|
|$40.01 to $60.00-||$12.95|
|$60.01 to $80.00-||$14.95|
|$80.01 to $100.00-||$16.95|
|$100.01 to over-||$18.95|