Welcome to Breck's!
Click Here to Sign Up for Special Offers from Breck's!
Tartan Dinnerplate Dahlia
- Light: Sun to Partial Shade
- Size: #1 Clump
- Zone: 3 to 10* (Lift in fall if you live in Zones3-7)
- Bloom Time: Summer to Frost
- Height: 24-36", 36-48", 48-60"
- Soil Requirement: Well drained
- Deer Resistant
- SKU: 85802
- Availability: In Stock
For each offer ordered, get 2
Add a firework display of colour to your garden with Tartan Dinnerplate Dahlias. Bright explosions of impressive blooms appear like a pyrotechnic display for a summer to fall celebration. Featuring rich burgundy petals broken with wide streaks of snow white, these eye-catching flowers resemble spinning pinwheels. Each plant will produce 15 to 20 blooms, with flowers reaching an enormous 6 to 12 inches across.
Perennial dinnerplate dahlias are hardy in zones 3 to 10. In zones 3 through 7, dahlia bulbs require lifting in the fall, before the first frost. We recommend that you plant your dahlia clumps in mid spring. A location with wind protection is ideal, and they may require staking to support the heavy blooms. Place them 2 to 3 feet apart and 2 inches below the soil level in well drained sandy or loamy soil in areas with full sun. Your plants will spread 24 to 36 inches and grow to between 3 and 4 feet tall.
Plant Tartan dahlias at the back of borders or create your own special dahlia garden with multiple varieties. Their fall blooming habit makes them a beautiful standout at the end of the growing season, so consider planting them where you'll appreciate some extra autumn colour. Celebrate the seasons with the explosion of colour provided by Tartan dinnerplate dahlias.
- Botanical Name Dahlia 'Tartan'
- Form Perennial (tuber)
- Hardiness Zone 3-10
- Lift in Fall 3- 7
- Flowering Time Mid Summer, Late Summer, Fall
- Light Requirements Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color Rich burgundy petals are striped with thick bands of snowy white
- Flower Form 8" fully double, ball-shaped flowers. When the side buds are not pinched, flowers grow a bit smaller.
- Foliage Type Mid green, pinnate leaves with ovate leaflets
- Growth Rate Medium
- Zones 3 to 10* (Lift in fall if you live in Zones3-7)
- Height/Habit 24-36", 36-48", 48-60"
- Spread 24 inches
- Planting Instructions Loosen soil well before planting. Dahlias respond dramatically to feeding, so we advise to enrich the soil with compost or well-rotted manure and then apply some fertilizer at time of planting. Plant the tuber with the potato-like roots facing down with 2" of soil on top of the tuber. Water well after planting.
- Soil Requirements Well drained
- Will Tolerate Acidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- Pruning Remove spent flower heads to encourage more blooms and maintain a neat appearance.
Breck's Shipping Schedule
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|1AB-7A||8/13/18 - 11/2/18|
|7B-13B||8/22/18 - 11/2/18|
|Last Order Date||10/29/18|
|ZONES||Bulbs from Holland|
|1AB-5AB||8/15/18 - 12/16/18|
|6AB-7AB||8/22/18 - 12/16/18|
|8AB-13AB||8/29/18 - 12/16/18|
|Last Order Date||12/12/2018|
|1AB-13B||9/6/18 - 11/16/18|
|Last Order Date||11/12/2018|
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONES||Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs|
|1AB - 5A||3/19/19- 6/16/19|
|5B||2/26/19 - 6/16/19|
|6A & 10AB||2/19/19 - 6/16/19|
|Last Order Date||6/18/2019|
|1AB - 5A||4/16/19- 6/1/19|
|5A||4/12/19 - 6/1/19|
|5B||3/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|6A & 6B||3/5/19 - 6/1/19|
|7A & 7B||2/26/19 - 6/1/19|
|8A & 8B||2/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|9A - 10B||1/22/19 - 6/1/19|
|Last Order Date||5/28/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule above.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shippied in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shippied direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Gift Certificates are shipped immediately.
If they are in stock, Garden Essentials ship within 4-7 days.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Click here to find your zone!
Our shipping and handling charges are as follows:
|Up to $40.00 order-||$9.95|
|$40.01 to $60.00-||$12.95|
|$60.01 to $80.00-||$14.95|
|$80.01 to $100.00-||$16.95|
|$100.01 to over-||$18.95|