Welcome to Breck's!
Click Here to Sign Up for Special Offers from Breck's!
Merchant Marine Bearded Iris
- Light: Sun to Part Shade
- Size: #1 rhizome
- Zone: 4 to 9
- Bloom Time: Mid to Late Spring
- Height: 24-36", 36-48"
- Soil Requirement: Well drained preferred. Quite tolerant of a wide range of soils.
- Deer Resistant
- SKU: 84611
- Availability: Out of Season
For each offer ordered, get 1
Add some true-blue beauty to your garden with Merchant Marine Tall Bearded Irises. These low-maintenance perennial irises grow 36 to 38 inches tall and boast flawless, marine blue blooms. You'll be awed by their lavishly ruffled standards, which twirl upwards over fluffy beards and luxuriously wavy falls. These stunning Dutch flowers bloom in mid to late spring and are deer resistant.
Merchant Marine irises are hardy in zones 4 through 9. Each plant enjoys a long lifespan and will return to your garden year after year. To help ensure your irises' continued success, plant them in the fall, about 1 inch deep and 20 to 24 inches apart in well-drained clay, loamy or sandy soil. They thrive in the sunshine, so make sure to place them in a sunny or partially shady area where they will receive full sunlight for around 6 hours per day.
When mature, Iris germanica 'Merchant Marine' produces five or more stunning flowers per stem. Make each bloom stand out by planting your irises in their own bed, or spread them throughout your garden in small groups of two to four. These blue bearded irises also look wonderful when placed in their own vase or included in a pastel bouquet. Refresh your garden this spring with Merchant Marine Tall Bearded Irises.
Send me an email when this item is available
Send me an email when this item is available
- Botanical Name Iris germanica 'Merchant Marine'
- Form Perennial
- Hardiness Zone 4-9
- Flowering Time Mid Spring, Late Spring
- Light Requirements Sun to Part Shade
- Flower Color Marine blue standards and falls.
- Flower Form Flowers are fan-shaped, with three drooping petals calFlowers are fan-shaped, with three drooping petals called falls and three upright petals called standards.les falls and three upright petals called standards
- Foliage Type Glaucous-green, sword-like fans of stiff upright leaves with some dying back in colder climates in winter.
- Growth Rate Medium
- Zones 4 to 9
- Height/Habit 24-36", 36-48"
- Spread 18 - 24 inches
- Planting Instructions Set rhizome so bottom half is below ground level. Firm well and water thoroughly. Plant where they will get at least 5 hours of sun per day.
- Soil Requirements Well drained preferred. Quite tolerant of a wide range of soils.
- Will Tolerate Acidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- Pruning Remove spent flower stems after blooming. In late fall, cut back foliage to 6" fans. Clean plant debris before winter to prevent borers overwintering.
Breck's Shipping Schedule
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONES||Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs|
|1AB - 5A||3/19/19- 6/16/19|
|5B||2/26/19 - 6/16/19|
|6A & 10AB||2/19/19 - 6/16/19|
|Last Order Date||6/18/2019|
|1AB - 5A||4/16/19- 6/1/19|
|5A||4/12/19 - 6/1/19|
|5B||3/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|6A & 6B||3/5/19 - 6/1/19|
|7A & 7B||2/26/19 - 6/1/19|
|8A & 8B||2/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|9A - 10B||1/22/19 - 6/1/19|
|Last Order Date||5/28/2019|
|2018 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|1AB-7A||8/13/18 - 11/2/18|
|7B-13B||8/22/18 - 11/2/18|
|Last Order Date||10/29/18|
|ZONES||Bulbs from Holland|
|1AB-5AB||8/15/18 - 12/16/18|
|6AB-7AB||8/22/18 - 12/16/18|
|8AB-13AB||8/29/18 - 12/16/18|
|Last Order Date||12/12/2018|
|1AB-13B||9/6/18 - 11/16/18|
|Last Order Date||11/12/2018|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule above.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shippied in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shippied direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Gift Certificates are shipped immediately.
If they are in stock, Garden Essentials ship within 4-7 days.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Click here to find your zone!
Our shipping and handling charges are as follows:
|Up to $40.00 order-||$9.95|
|$40.01 to $60.00-||$12.95|
|$60.01 to $80.00-||$14.95|
|$80.01 to $100.00-||$16.95|
|$100.01 to over-||$18.95|