Welcome to Breck's!
Click Here to Sign Up for Special Offers from Breck's!
American Classic Colourful, Tall Bearded Iris
- Light: Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Size: #1 rhizome
- Zone: 4 to 9
- Bloom Time: Mid to Late Spring
- Height: 36 inches
- Soil Requirement: Well drained preferred. Quite tolerant of a wide range of soils.
- Deer Resistant
- SKU: 63797
- Availability: In Stock
For each offer ordered, get 1
Whether you're from the states or not, the patriotic petals of American Classic Bearded Plicata Irises will make a white-and-blue statement in your garden. A stunning deep blue picotee borders the crisp white ground on each deeply frilled plicata petal. The shape will also catch eyes with its three falls and three upright standards, which, together, create a fan-like silhouette.
Plant your Iris germanica rhizomes in mid to late summer; they'll brightly burst forth in mid to late spring. They thrive in gardens exposed to full or half sun, especially ones with well-drained clay, sandy or loamy soil. Plant your rhizomes 1-inch below the soil level and 12 to 24 inches apart to compensate for their 18-inch spread. As for their hardiness, gardeners in zones 4 through 9 are in luck. You'll be delighted to welcome the return of these low-maintenance, deer-resistant perennial irises each year.
Bearded irises like American Classics tend to reach anywhere between 36 and 38 inches in height, making them a uniquely beautiful border for garden beds with lower-lying flowers. Their height also makes them a natural for placement along fence lines and foundations or along the roadside. Pair these blue-and-white beauties with deep indigo and solid white iris varieties for a blue-blooded look. Hoist American Classic bearded plicata irises in your garden.
- Botanical Name Iris germanica 'American Classic'
- Form Perennial
- Hardiness Zone 4-9
- Flowering Time Early, midseason and late flowering (mid spring to early summer)
- Light Requirements Full Sun to Partial Shade
- Flower Color Thick deep blue violet plicata markings defly edge the immaculate white ground.
- Flower Form Flowers are fan-shaped, with three drooping petals called falls and three upright petals called standards.
- Foliage Type Glaucous-green, sword-like fans of stiff upright leaves with some dying back in colder climates in winter.
- Growth Rate Medium
- Zones 4 to 9
- Height/Habit 36 inches
- Spread 24 inches
- Planting Instructions Set rhizome so bottom half is below ground level. Firm well and water thoroughly. Plant where they will get at least 5 hours of sun per day.
- Soil Requirements Well drained preferred. Quite tolerant of a wide range of soils.
- Will Tolerate Acidic Soil, Clay Soil, Loamy Soil, Sandy Soil
- Pruning Remove spent flower stems after blooming. In late fall, cut back foliage to 6" fans. Clean plant debris before winter to prevent borers overwintering.
Breck's Shipping Schedule
We will pack and ship your order based on the following schedule.
|2019 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|ZONES||Bareroot Perennials & Bulbs|
|1AB - 5A||3/19/19- 6/16/19|
|5B||2/26/19 - 6/16/19|
|6A - 10AB||2/19/19 - 6/16/19|
|Last Order Date||6/18/2019|
|1AB - 5A||4/16/19- 6/1/19|
|5A||4/12/19 - 6/1/19|
|5B||3/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|6A & 6B||3/5/19 - 6/1/19|
|7A & 7B||2/26/19 - 6/1/19|
|8A & 8B||2/19/19 - 6/1/19|
|9A - 10B||1/22/19 - 6/1/19|
|Last Order Date||5/28/2019|
|2019 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|1AB-7A||8/13/19 - 11/2/19|
|7B-13B||8/22/19 - 11/2/19|
|Last Order Date||10/29/19|
|ZONES||Bulbs from Holland|
|1AB-5AB||8/15/19 - 12/16/19|
|6AB-7AB||8/22/19 - 12/16/19|
|8AB-13AB||8/29/19 - 12/16/19|
|Last Order Date||12/12/2019|
|1AB-13B||9/6/19 - 11/16/19|
|Last Order Date||11/12/2019|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or your area may affect the anticipated shipping schedule above.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible in the planting season to allow for the best root development once planted.
To promote optimum stress protection in transit and your success in the garden, bareroot perennials are kept in the ground in our nurseries until fully dormant. In the Fall these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window above.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to delivery your orders via the USPS or FedEx. Large orders may be shippied in more than one package.
Bulb and perennial shipments direct from Holland are harvested in July and August dependent on the season and crop. Once fully inspected and packaged they are shippied direct to you in the most efficient manner to follow the dates above.
Upon placing your order you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order actually ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Gift Certificates are shipped immediately.
If they are in stock, Garden Essentials ship within 4-7 days.
Please note that we cannot ship outside the 48 contiguous states.
Click here to find your zone!
Our shipping and handling charges are as follows:
|Up to $40.00 order-||$9.95|
|$40.01 to $60.00-||$12.95|
|$60.01 to $80.00-||$14.95|
|$80.01 to $100.00-||$16.95|
|$100.01 to over-||$18.95|